Skiing in Park City dates back to 1920 when a few hardy souls took the mine train (which was still part of active silver mining) to the top of Thaynes Canyon so they could ski down. The first ski jump was built in 1930, followed by the first lift in 1946.
But it wasn’t until 1958, with mining on the skids, that United Park City Mines did a study to see of it could branch out into the ski business and it wasn’t until 1963, with a federal loan, that a gondola and chairlift were built, actually launching a real ski area. By 1982, mining was history, but skiing was just really getting started.
Along the way, the area sprouted Deer Valley (1981) and Canyons (which actually started in the late ‘60s as Park West and Wolf Mountain but reimagined itself as Canyons in 1997). To read the full article, click here.